Category : Uncategorized
Welcome to the April installment in this series of posts designed to explore the Operation Maths topics on a month-by-month basis, giving teachers greater insights into the concepts at hand, when they are most relevant.
While each monthly overview will specifically zone in on the Operation Maths topics for that particular month, the information and suggestions will be relevant to ALL primary teachers, whether they are Operation Maths users or not.
Pssst! There are still some Edco Primary Publications launches for 2019 taking place during April; specifically in Sligo, Dublin North, Kildare, Castlebar, Galway, Waterford and Athlone. As well as launching the new SESE programme Explore with Me, the new English Core Skills Let’s Talk Literacy and Bua na Cainte 4, they will also be showcasing Operation Maths, Number Facts and other Edco publications. Click on the link above for more information and to register.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: Ordinal numbers (first, last), Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning amounts to up to five
- Senior Infants: Further consolidation of amounts to up to ten via Counting and Numeration, Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning; Capacity
- First Class: Time (hours, half hours and the calendar), 2-D shapes/Fractions (halves), Operations (addition and subtraction without renaming).
- Second Class: 2-D shapes, Capacity and 3-D objects and Angles
- Third class: Weight and Multiplication & Division
- Fourth class: Weight and Multiplication
- Fifth class: Weight, Number Theory and Rules and Properties
- Sixth class: Weight, Percentages and Rules and Properties
Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
- Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for April:
- April Fool! There are 125 sheep and 5 dogs in a flock. How old is the shepherd? Would your students spot straight away that this is unsolvable or will they try to calculate an answer? Take a look at how some of Robert Kaplinsky’s students tried to attack this.
- Mashup Math has a free download of 101 Challenges, which include a puzzle for April Fool’s Day (puzzle #92), for Easter (puzzle #93) and for Earth Day (puzzle #94), all of which fall during April. You can sign up for access to more free resources at MashupMaths.com