Maths by Month – January (updated 2019)
Category : Uncategorized
Happy New Year!
And welcome to the fifth installment in this series of posts designed to explore the Operation Maths topics on a month-by-month basis, giving teachers greater insights into the concepts at hand, when they are most relevant.
While each monthly overview will specifically zone in on the Operation Maths topics for that particular month, the information and suggestions will be relevant to ALL primary teachers, whether they are Operation Maths users or not.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: Analysis of Number (Numeration) looking at the number five, Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning amounts up to five.
- Senior Infants: Analysis of Number (Numeration) looking at the number eight; Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning amounts to up to eight; Weight
- First Class: Counting and Numeration (within 99), Place Value within 60, Operations (including developing mental strategies for addition and subtraction within 20) and Comparing and Ordering (comparing sets and identifying the inequality)
- Second Class: Money, Symmetry, Operations (addition and subtraction without renaming, including subtraction as deduction) and Fractions.
- Third class: Fractions and Length
- Fourth class: Multiplication & Division and Decimals
- Fifth class: More Division and Data
- Sixth class: Multiplication & Division and Fractions, Decimals & Percentages
Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
- Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for January:
- Storytelling Week runs from Sunday 27th January to Sunday 3rd February. While this is primarily a UK based event, it does serve as a timely reminder of the rich role that mathematical stories can play in the early years. For teachers of infants to second class, be sure to check out the Literacy suggestions within the Integration section of each short term plan in the TRB.