Maths by Month – May (updated 2019)
Category : Uncategorized
Welcome to the May installment in this series of posts designed to explore the Operation Maths topics on a month-by-month basis, giving teachers greater insights into the concepts at hand, when they are most relevant.
While each monthly overview will specifically zone in on the Operation Maths topics for that particular month, the information and suggestions will be relevant to ALL primary teachers, whether they are Operation Maths users or not.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: Weight, Capacity, and more exploration of Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning amounts to up to five
- Senior Infants: Further consolidation of amounts to up to ten via Counting and Numeration, Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning; Money
- First Class: Money, 2-D shapes and Operations (to include addition with renaming)
- Second Class: Operations (addition & subtraction within 99, without and with renaming), Money and Place Value to 199.
- Third class: Capacity, Sequences & Number Sentences and Chance
- Fourth class: Capacity, Number Sentences and Chance
- Fifth class: Capacity, Number Sentences & Equations and Chance
- Sixth class: Capacity, Equations & Variables and Chance
Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for May:
- May the Fourth Be With You! International Star Wars Day (May the fourth) is almost here!
- For any of the Star Wars fans in your class, why not try out this selection of themed puzzles and images from MashUp Math? And stay away from the dark side!
- Another teacher has created a selection of attractive and free posters Star Wars that also promote a growth mindset to maths at the same time. To download yours, go to his blog here.
- Tech Week 2019 is from 11th-18th May next. Some suitable activities for this week could include:
- Outdoor Classroom Day is May 23 2019. This global event encourages us to use the outdoors to teach, explore and learn. There are lots of resources with suggestions for all subject areas, including maths, https://outdoorclassroomday.com/. For more ideas for outdoor maths you could also check out:
- the Maths Around Us activity ideas in your Operation Maths book
- the Maths Around Us videos accessible at https://www.edcolearning.ie/
- this post, Maths fun in the sun