Maths by Month – November (updated 2018)
Category : Uncategorized
Welcome to the third installment in this year’s series of posts designed to explore the Operation Maths topics on a month-by-month basis, giving teachers greater insights into the concepts at hand, when they are most relevant. While each monthly overview will specifically zone in on the Operation Maths topics for that particular month, the information and suggestions will be relevant to ALL primary teachers, whether they are Operation Maths users or not.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: Analysis of Number (Numeration) looking at numbers one to three
- Senior Infants: Counting, Analysis of Number (Numeration, Combining, Partitioning) looking at numbers six and seven, Algebra (extending patterns), 2D Shapes and Data
- First Class: Counting and Numeration (numbers to 50), Operations and Time
- Second Class: Extending and Using Pattern, Time and Operations
- Third Class: Multiplication and Division, Time and Money
- Fourth Class: Multiplication and Division, 3D objects and Time
- Fifth Class: Multiplication and Division, The Circle and Money
- Sixth Class: Number Theory, Multiplication and Division and The Circle
- Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
- Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for November:
- 11 November marks the centenary of the ending of the Great War, “the war to end all wars”, which is now typically referred to as World War 1. For 5th and 6th class teachers, who are planning to explore this topic in history, check out these Maths Activities from the Trench Brothers Education Zone.
- Codes and code breaking were a very important part of warfare tactics during both World War 1 and 2. To find out more about the maths of code breaking click on the link.
- Science Week 2018 runs from Sunday 11th to Sunday 18th November. There are obvious links between Maths and Science, a fact which is being celebrated by the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) movement globally. Of the STEM areas, coding is one of the most exciting, not least of all to kids! And Operation Maths is the only Irish maths programme that has integrated coding activities via the Scratch Lessons for Operation Maths 3-6. Check out the scratch lessons that are included in the Operation Maths digital resources via your TRB or edcolearning.ie For infants, the Aistear Themes are an ideal way to explore STEM using a thematic focus; consult the Junior and Senior Infants TRB for the monthly Aistear suggestions. For some more primary-focused STEM activities, check out the links below: