Maths by Month – December (updated 2018)
Category : Uncategorized
Welcome to the fourth installment in this year’s series of posts designed to explore the Operation Maths topics on a month-by-month basis, giving teachers greater insights into the concepts at hand, when they are most relevant. While each monthly overview will specifically zone in on the Operation Maths topics for that particular month, the information and suggestions will be relevant to ALL primary teachers, whether they are Operation Maths users or not.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: Analysis of Number (Numeration) looking at the number four
- Senior Infants: 3D Objects, Spatial Relations and Time (the days of the week).
- First Class: Money, Place Value within 20, Patterns and Capacity.
- Second Class: Time (the calendar) Place Value within 99 and Representing and Interpreting Data
- Third Class: Multiplication and Division, Time and Money
- Fourth Class: Fractions and Patterns & Sequences
- Fifth Class: Fractions and 3D Objects
- Sixth Class: Fractions and 3D Objects
Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
- Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for December:
- The first week in December each year also marks Computer Science Education Week and the annual Hour of Code event. Coding is the future! Computers are changing every industry on the planet. Every 21st-century student should have the opportunity to build technology. Click on the links above to access Hour of Code and other computer science activities for learners of all ages. Operation Maths users can also access the tailor-made Operation Maths Scratch lessons on https://edcolearning.ie
- NRICH have recently launched their 2018 Primary Advent Calendar. They have lots of other Christmas-themed activities that can be accessed here: https://nrich.maths.org/public/search.php?search=christmas. They also have an Advent-themed sudoku challenge that some of the more able senior class pupils might like to tackle.
- Mash-up Maths have a Christmas-themed 12 Days of Holiday Math Challenges. Sign up to the Mash-up Maths weekly newsletter to receive lots of other themed maths puzzles and challenges like this Grinch-themed challenge that was emailed last week.