Maths by Month – June (updated 2019)
Category : Uncategorized
The summer holidays are in sight!
In this June overview for Operation Maths users, there are links to topic-specific posts and articles, as well as a whole host of extra suggestions, links etc. To ensure you don’t miss out on any future Maths by Month blog-posts, please subscribe to the blog via email, on the top right hand of this page.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: will be reinforcing their understanding of the numbers 0-5 via the topic of money.
- Senior Infants: Further consolidation of amounts to up to ten via Counting and Numeration, Comparing and Ordering and Combining and Partitioning; the children will be exploring patterns to discover different arrays of the same number, patterns with colour and numbers and odd and even numbers. They are also learning to read time in one-hour intervals.
- First Class: Weight, Patterns, 3-D objects (in particular, connecting their understanding of 3-D objects to their understanding of 2-D shapes)
- Second Class: More Place Value to 199, Area and revisiting half turns and quarter turns, as part of Lines and Angles
- Third to sixth classes: Operation Maths 3-6 is specifically structured so that the programme can be completed by the end of May, thus covering all of the topics in advance of the standardised testing.
So, you might now find yourself looking for inspiration to fill the maths lessons from now until the end of month. Whether you’re an Operation Maths user or not, there are a whole suite of suitable ideas on this blog post.
Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for June:
- Outdoor Classroom Day was May 23 2019. This global event promotes the use of the outdoors to teach, explore and learn. If you missed this day, you might like to do an Outdoor Classroom Day in June instead. There are lots of resources with suggestions for all subject areas, including maths, https://outdoorclassroomday.com/. For more ideas for outdoor maths you could also check out:
- the Maths Around Us activity ideas in your Operation Maths book
- the Maths Around Us videos accessible at https://www.edcolearning.ie/
- this post, Maths fun in the sun
- Online problem-solving webinars: Following the success of their pilot webinar in December, NRICH are hosting two problem-solving webinars on the 11th June that are free and open to all; you just need to register. Starting at 10am, Irish time, they will introduce a problem and invite students to work on it and submit their questions and solutions if they want to. For all details: https://nrich.maths.org/webinar . And if you’re reluctant to get involved, not knowing what it entails, or whether it will be relevant for your class, you can watch and try out the recorded video from the previous pilot webinar here: https://nrich.maths.org/13821