Category : About Operation Maths
Welcome to the second installment in this year’s series of posts designed to explore the Operation Maths topics on a month-by-month basis, giving teachers greater insights into the concepts at hand, when they are most relevant. While each monthly overview will specifically zone in on the Operation Maths topics for that particular month, the information and suggestions will be relevant to ALL primary teachers, whether they are Operation Maths users or not.
Operation Maths for Junior Infants to Sixth Class:
- Junior Infants: Early Mathematical Activities (comparing and ordering), Algebra (extending patterns), Analysis of Number (Numeration looking at number one)
- Senior Infants: Data, Algebra (extending patterns), Time, Counting, Analysis of Number (Numeration, Combining, Partitioning)
- First Class: Counting and Numeration, Operations, Extending and Using Pattern
- Second Class: Comparing and Ordering, Operations, Counting and Numeration
- Third Class: Addition and Subtraction and 2-D Shapes
- Fourth Class: Addition and Subtraction and 2-D Shapes
- Fifth Class: Addition and Subtraction and Time
- Sixth Class: Addition and Subtraction and Time
Operation Maths users can also access a class specific, month-by-month list of relevant links and online resources via the Weblinks document, accessible on www.edcolearning.ie.
- Log into your edcolearning account
- Click on the At School Book/Pupil’s Book for your class level.
- Click on the Edco Resources icon (on book cover image on left-hand side)
- Select Weblinks from list of categories and then click to download the document.
Also accessible on www.edcolearning.ie. are the custom-made digital resources to support these topics. These will all be viewable when you click on the Edco Resources icon as directed above.
Other suggestions for October:
- The October plan for third to sixth classes has deliberately allowed for a free week, to enable teachers to engage with Maths Week, held every year at this time. This year, Maths Week will run from 12-20 October. Make sure to register your school at the link above and then organise some fun maths activities for your class or school. You can follow the links in the site to find out more about Maths mazes, Maths Art (which, coincidentally, links very well with October Operation Maths for 3rd and 4th classes i.e. tessellations in 2D shapes), Maths and history, code breaking and lots more.
- You could also make Maths Week become a game-themed week in your class. Teachers of third to sixth classes could use the Games Bank in the Operation Maths TRB. Teachers of infants to second classes can use any of the games listed in the short-term plans in their TRBs.
- Another option for Maths Week, if you didn’t already do it in September, is Jo Boaler’s Week of Inspirational Maths. Click on the link for an overview of the activities in Week of Inspirational Math, and scroll down to the bottom of the page to access all the resources; Kindergarten roughly aligns with Infants, Grade 1 and 2 with 1st & 2nd classes, and Grades 3-5 roughly align with 3rd-6th classes.
- Other STEM projects to consider during October: